A Brand new play for 2016/17!
Touring Dates: 6th June - 20th July 2017
Recommended Year Group: 9+
Show Length: 90 mins (provisional running time)
Losing It is our new play for 2017. Having toured our successful sex education play The Teenage Pregnancy Project since 2008 we believe we need a new way to engage teenagers in discussions about sex and healthy relationships. In the last 8 years sexual and mental health of young people has changed dramatically. Since 2008 the rate of teenage pregnancy both locally and nationally has declined. The rise of communication technology and particularly smart phones has meant that a great many of our young people are exposed to pornography at a far younger age than ever before, and our teenagers are living in a hyper-sexualised society that sends conflicting and confusing messages about their bodies, sexual expectations and the relationships they experience. Young women aged 16 - 23 years are more likely to experience abuse in a relationship than any other group. At the same time this current generation of teenagers are, in the main, more open, accepting, and supportive of each others' different experiences of sexuality and gender. Here at Peer Productions, with your help, we want to support those young people to make better informed choices.
“I did want to be a teenage mum but watching this play has made me think differently.” - Year 10 audience member The Teenage Pregnancy Project
This new play will:
- Actively teach what it means to give consent to a partner and how ensuring consent has been given is everyone’s responsibility.
- Challenge the sexualised way in which adolescence is portrayed in the media and online.
- Encourage young people to make healthy and respectful choices for themselves and those with whom they have relationships.
- Reflect the needs and stories of all of your young people including young people who are LGBT*QI
- Challenge gender stereotyping and encourage body positivity and young audiences to consider each person as an individual.